-

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Just Don't Feel Fit

QUESTION: I am 28 years old and teach aerobics three to four times a week. My weight is about 128 pounds.
The problem is reducing another ten to fifteen pounds.
Even though I am not overweight, I just don't feel physically fit.
I do not over eat and watch my fat consumption, but nothing seems to help.
I have battled my weight all my life and it would be nice to finally win.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: Without a height measurement, it is hard to completely evaluate your situation, but I probably would agree with you, you do not seem to be overweight.
You would have to be 20 percent over your normal body weight to be considered obese.
And that weight should be in excess fat tissue, rather than in muscle tissue, for it to be significant.
While regular aerobics does not tend to excessively develop your muscles, it would be interesting to know if some of your body weight cannot be due to your frequent workouts.
While you claim you are not overeating, keeping track of everything you consume in a daily diary and then converting those numbers to calories might reveal that even for a person of your age and your (unrevealed) height and physical activity, you are still consuming too many calories for there to be a noticeable weight loss over time.
But my medical sensitivities are alerted by the statement that you "just don't feel fit".
I would want to check out a few possibilities to be sure that both your physical functions and mental state are all functioning as they should.
A thyroid problem can be at the base of your problem, and work and living situations can make a person feel less than fit without any physical basis.
Too many times, a medical situation that is relatively easy to correct is lost in a poorly defined complaint such as yours.
I don't think your answer lies in another diet, but in an overall evaluation of your physical, emotional and social situation.


The material contained here is "FOR INFORMATION ONLY" and should not replace the counsel and advice of your personal physician.
Promptly consulting your doctor is the best path to a quick and successful resolution of any medical problem.